Center for Human Resource Management
Director of the Center for Human Resource Management and the Haywood and Betty Taylor Eminent Scholar of Business Administration
Please allow me to introduce you to the membership of the Center for Human Resource Management (HR Center) in the College of Business at Florida State University. The members of the HR Center are top human-resource professionals who are responsible for the strategic direction of the human-resource function in their firms. The membership page highlights the accomplishments of the members of the HR Center.
The mission of the HR Center is to facilitate networking among human-resource professionals and FSU faculty and students to establish and transfer current best practices that support the advancement of human resources as a business discipline in member organizations.
Membership in the HR Center provides a variety of benefits. First, HR Center members formally meet twice a year - in the fall and in the spring. One meeting is usually held on Florida State University's campus and includes a full day of activities including presentations from national experts, HR Center members and the Florida State University faculty, all centered on cutting-edge human resource issues. This meeting also provides members the opportunity to network formally and informally with other top human-resource executives and university faculty and students.
The other meeting is our main recruiting meeting and the location normally takes place in a relaxed and fun environment. In the past, we have met on the Gallant Lady, a yacht generously donated for a trip by JM Family Enterprises, and at Busch Gardens and Tropicana Field. We also have a couple of speakers on cutting-edge human-resource issues.
In addition to the formal HR Center functions, membership in the center establishes a research partnership between the members and the faculty. This benefit allows members to call upon faculty from the HR Center to collect and analyze data from their organizations to answer any questions they may have. The HR Center also provides an email distribution facility that allows a message sent from one member to be distributed to all other HR Center and faculty members. Members frequently turn to this facility to obtain prompt, current information on pressing human-resource problems they face.
The HR Center is an excellent example of effective collaboration between human-resource professionals in business and academia. The HR Center was designed to bridge the gap between organizational practitioners and university professors in an effort to enrich our scientific and applied understanding of important human-resource issues. Please let me know if you would like to join us in this exciting venture.
One of the goals of the HR Center is to connect with and support the human resource management majors at Florida State. There are numerous ways this goal is achieved.
- The HR Center sponsors scholarships for outstanding human-resource majors. Scholarship recipients are selected by the HR Center faculty members using criteria such as academic standing, career goals, and demonstrated leadership in our student chapter of SHRM.
- HR students are invited to join the HR Center members for breakfast and lunch at the meeting held at Florida State University.
- Our internship program matches our top human-resource students with HR Center firms seeking interns.
- HR doctoral students are invited to present their dissertation ideas and many of our HR Center members provide data-collection opportunities for our students.
- Finally, HR Center members are invited to guest lecture in human-resource classes during the semester. In combination, these activities provide members ample involvement with Florida State's human-resource majors.
|2012||Katelyn R. Sturt|
|2008||Andrea S. White|
Dr. Pamela Perrewe, Director of the Center for Human Resource Management:
Phone: (850) 644-7848
The Florida State University
College of Business
Department of Management
Rovetta Business Annex, Room 305
P.O. Box 3061110
Tallahassee, Florida 32306-1110