The Insurance Society at Florida State University (ISFSU)
The Insurance Society at Florida State University (ISFSU) is a student organization consisting primarily of business students majoring in Risk Management and Insurance, but with membership open to students of all majors. The purposes of ISFSU are to: (1) provide opportunities for members to advance their knowledge of the insurance industry through professional activities and contact with practitioners; and (2) provide opportunities for social contacts and mutual encouragement of the members toward achievement of their career goals. To read more about the activities of ISFSU for the 2009-2010 academic year, view the annual report.
Reports for prior years:
Activities of ISFSU
Each year, ISFSU sponsors activities designed to help its members achieve the goals outlined above. While the specific activities are determined each year by the organization's officers, some occur almost every year. These activities include:
- Spring Banquet Information: The spring banquet will be held at 101 Versai on Thursday, April 25, at 6:45 pm. All paid ISFSU members may attend at no charge. All others and guests are $20. The sign-up sheet is in the department office. If you plan to attend, you must sign up in advance by Monday, April 15th. Scholarships for Fall 2013 will be announced and the incoming officers of Gamma Iota Sigma will be introduced. This will be the last official event of ISFSU, so be sure to attend!
- Insurance Days: Insurance Days is a recruiting event designed to bring students and employers together in both informal and formal settings. The officers and members of ISFSU are an integral part of organizing the event which is held in late February. Insurance Days provides an invaluable service to employers and an unparalleled opportunity for students. Open only to Risk Management and Insurance majors, this two and one-half day event represents a substantial commitment from the faculty and staff in assisting graduating seniors in obtaining employment and has resulted in a high placement rate for participants since its inception nearly 30 years ago. Non-graduating majors also are encouraged to participate to sharpen interview skills, gather information about different career opportunities, and to obtain internships.
- ISFSU Guest Speakers: Each year, guests are invited to speak at ISFSU meetings. This provides students with an opportunity to interact with individuals working in various capacities within the insurance industry, allowing students to obtain information on career opportunities, market trends, and current topics of interest within the industry. Many of the speakers are graduates of the Risk Management & Insurance program at Florida State.
- ISFSU Corporate Tours: The officers and members of ISFSU often organize and arranged trips enhance their understanding of risk management and insurance outside the classroom. Past hosts and destinations include the Hartford Insurance Company (Hartford, Connecticut), Coca Cola (Atlanta, Georgia), and Disney World/Universal Studios (Orlando, Florida).
- ISFSU Social Events: One of the goals of ISFSU is to give students an opportunity to get to know and interact with one another and with the RMI faculty. As such, at least one social event is held each semester. These events have taken many different forms over the years, including cookouts, sailing parties, post-meeting gatherings at local establishments, tailgating, holiday parties, and end-of-semester banquets.
|Special Events Coordinator||Gloria Clark|
Faculty advisor: Cassandra R. Cole (850) 644-9283
To become a member of ISFSU, simply attend any meeting and register as a new member. Alternatively, you may contact any of the ISFSU officers or the Risk Management & Insurance Department. Members must pay dues each academic year in an amount established by the officers of the organization.
Download the membership application.
ISFSU Online Resumes: The ISFSU posts online resumes in cooperation with the Risk Management & Insurance Department. Students complete standard resume forms which are then made available on the Student Section of the department's website. These resumes are accessed by employers and recruiters looking for full-time employees as well as interns. During the "hiring" periods of the year, traffic to this part of the website is high. Many companies contact students directly after viewing resumes online or use this resource in conjunction with the Insurance Days placement program described below. As a result, all members are strongly encouraged to use this resource and to keep the information current.
Complete résumé application here.