Information for Students Pursuing a Business Minor
Note: At FSU, minors are not posted on your transcript and are not included on your diploma.
Course Requirements for a Minor in General Business
The College of Business offers only a Minor in General Business for students majoring in an area outside of business. There are no minors in specific disciplines within Business.
To complete a Minor in General Business, you must complete eighteen (18) semester hours including ECO 2013, ECO 2023, and twelve (12) semester hours in business courses. That is, six (6) courses:
- ECO 2013
- ECO 2023
- Four (4) Business courses from the following list: ACG 2021, ACG 2071, BUL 3310, FIN 3140, FIN 3244, FIN 3403, MAN 3025, MAR 3023, REE 3043 and RMI 3011.
You must earn at least a "C-" grade in a course for it to be counted toward a Minor in General Business. At least two (2) of the business courses must be completed at FSU. If you want a course completed at another institution to count toward a Minor in General Business, the course must be approved by the College of Business. Go to the College of Business Undergraduate Programs Office (RBB 328) to request this approval.
Registering for the Business Courses You Need to Complete a Business Minor
Registration in business courses by students pursuing a Minor in General Business is frequently difficult and seats in courses are very limited.
All of the seats in the following courses are available to non-business majors from the beginning of registration:
- FIN 3140, Personal Finance
- MAN 3025, Concepts of Management
At the beginning of registration, only 10% of the seats available in each section of the following courses are available to non-business majors:
- ACG 2021, Introduction to Financial Accounting
- ACG 2071, Introduction to Managerial Accounting (Prerequisite: ACG 2021)
- BUL 3310, The Legal and Ethical Environment of Business
- FIN 3403, Financial Management of the Firm (Prerequisites: ECO 2023, ACG 2021)
- MAR 3023, Basic Marketing Concepts (Prerequisite: ECO 2023)
- FIN 3244, Financial Markets, Institutions, and International Finance Systems (Prerequisites: ECO 2013, ACG 2021)
- REE 3043, Real Estate
- RMI 3011, Risk Management and Insurance (Prerequisite: None)
At 12:00 Noon of the third day of classes (during the drop/add period), any remaining seats in the courses listed above become available to non-business majors.
Students pursuing a Business Minor must choose their four (4) business courses from the courses listed above.
Requesting Certification of the Completion of Your Business Minor
When you have completed the courses required for a Business Minor, you must contact the College of Business Undergraduate Programs Office (RBB 328) to request a memorandum be sent to your major department which confirms that you have completed a Minor in General Business. You may click here to submit your request online, or you may submit your request by completing a form in the Undergraduate Programs Office.