Our Heritage and Beginning (1851-1950)
|1851 - The West Florida Seminary was founded.|
|1857 - The West Florida Seminary began operating officially.|
|1863 - The Florida Legislature changed the West Florida Seminary to the Florida Military and Collegiate Institute.|
|1901 - The Institute becomes the Florida State College, a four-year institution organized into four departments: the College, the School for Teachers, the School of Music, and the College Academy.|
|1905 - The Florida State College becomes the Florida Female College.|
|1909 - The Florida Female College is changed to the Florida State College for Women (FSCW).|
|1916 - Two-year business course leading to a diploma is offered which includes both secretarial and accounting courses.|
|1925 - Business course is developed into a four-year program leading to a degree.|
|1930 - The Department of Commerce is merged into the Department of Economics and Commerce.|
|1937 - Distributive courses, advertising and salesmanship are offered.|
|1947 - Florida State College for Women by statute is reorganized to become the Florida State University and men are admitted to the University.|
The Take-Off Period (1950-1953)
|1950 - The FSU School of Business is established and J. Frank Dame is appointed the first dean of the School of Business.|
|- The Departments of Baking and Management are established.|
|1951 - Courses and curriculum are revised to offer undergraduate majors in the fields of accounting, advertising, baking science and management, business teacher education, finance and banking, general business administration, industrial management, insurance and real estate, management, marketing, personnel management, public relations, restaurant and hotel management, retailing, sales management, secretarial science and transportation.|
- Graduate courses in the fields of accounting, business education, general marketing, management, and restaurant and hotel |
management are offered.
Development and Expansion (1953-1973)
|1953 - Charles A. Rovetta is appointed the second dean of the School of Business.|
|1954 - The Master of Science in Restaurant and Hotel Management begins.|
|1955 - The Florida Legislature appropriates $1 million for School of Business building.|
|1958 - The new School of Business building opens its doors in the fall.|
- The first computer at FSU is installed in the School of Business (IBM 650) and professor Ashby Stiff initiates Little Dinner |
|1960 - The Master of Business Administration (MBA) Program begins.|
|1962 - The Undergraduate Business Program is accredited by AACSB.|
|1964 - The Master of Business Administration Program is accredited by AACSB.|
|1965 - The Doctorate in Business Administration (DBA) Program begins and is accredited.|
|1966 - The undergraduate Multinational Business Program begins.|
|1970 - The European Summer Study Program in Hospitality Administration is established.|
- The Juris Doctorate/Master of Business Administration (JD/MBA) Program is established in cooperation with the College of |
Turbulence, Growth, and Maturity (1973-1991)
|1973 - Dean Charles Rovetta retires and E. Ray Solomon is named Acting Dean.|
- Assistant deanships are established (William Anthony-Assistant Dean for Professional Development; Richard Baker-Assistant |
Dean of Graduate Studies; and E. Joe Nosari-Assistant Dean of Student Affairs and Undergraduate Programs).
|1974 - The School of Business is designated the College of Business.|
|- E. Ray Solomon is named the third dean of the College of Business.|
|- The undergraduate Real Estate Program begins.|
|- Off-campus Business Program at FSU’s Panama Canal Zone Branch begins|
|1975 - The undergraduate and masters Business Programs are reaccredited by AACSB.|
- The College of Business Alumni Association is organized.
- The Master of Science in Management of Real Estate Program begins.
|1978 - The Business Advisory Board is formed.|
1980 - The undergraduate Purchasing and Materials Management major begins.|
- Plans for a new College of Business building are in process.
|1981 - The Florida Legislature appropriates $9 million for the new addition and renovation of business building.|
|1982 - The undergraduate Business Program is established as a limited access program requiring at least a 2.5 GPA for admission.|
|1984 - Construction of the new and renovated business building is completed and dedicated as the Charles A. Rovetta Building.|
|1986 - A program concentration in Entrepreneurship and Small Business Management (ESBM) begins.|
|- The Department of Information and Management Sciences (IMS) is established.|
|1988 - The part-time evening MBA program begins.|
|- The minimum GPA required for admission to the business undergraduate program changed from 2.50 to 2.60.|
|1990 - E. Ray Solomon retires as Dean.|
Technology, Diversity, and Outreach (1991-2004)
|1991 - Melvin T. Stith is appointed as the fourth Dean of College of Business.|
1993 - The undergraduate Operations Management Program begins.|
|- The Charles A. Bruning Distinguished Speaker Series is established.|
|1995 - The Jim Moran Institute for Global Entrepreneurship is established with a $1 million cash gift from the Moran family.|
|- The minimum GPA for undergraduate admissions is changed from 2.60 to 2.30.|
|1996 - The College of Business Technology Center is completed.|
|- The Executive Management Program is established.|
1997 - The Master of Science in Management Information Systems (MIS) begins and the Management Information Systems (MIS) |
approved as a degree program.
1998 - Carl DeSantis establishes the Carl DeSantis Center for Executive Management Education with a $2 million gift.|
- The annual E. Ray Solomon Golf Tournament is established.
1999 - Jim and Jan Moran and the JM Family Enterprises give an additional $2 million to the Jim Moran Institute for |
2000 - Robert & Nancy Dedman give $7 million gift to establish the Dedman Endowment in Hospitality, the largest gift received by the |
College of Business.
- The minimum GPA for undergraduate admissions is changed from 2.30 to 2.60.
2003 - The Hall of Fame event is established.|
- The minimum GPA for undergraduate admissions is changed from 2.60 to 2.75.
2004 - Dean Stith resigns as Dean.|
- E. Joe Nosari is appointed as Interim Dean.
- The online MBA program begins.
- The Jim Moran Institute celebrates its 10th Anniversary.
- The minimum GPA for undergraduate admissions is changed from 2.75 to 2.90.
Caryn L. Beck-Dudley (2006-present)
|2006 - Dean Caryn Beck-Dudley is appointed the fifth dean of the College of Business.|
2007 - Housed within the Department of Risk Management/Insurance, Real Estate & Business Law, the Florida Catastrophic |
Storm Risk Management Center is created by the Florida Legislature.
2008 - The Gene Taylor/Bank of America Center for Banking Financial Studies is established & by the Bank of America Charitable |
Foundation with a grant of $2 million on January 16.
- The College of Business and its accounting program are reaccredited by the AACSB International.
- William Christiansen, department chair and Bank of America Professor, is named the recipient of the Florida State
University’s Distinguished Teacher Award.
- The Entrepreneurship Bootcamp for Veterans with Disabilities is established.
- The Jim Moran Institute for Global Entrepreneurship receives an additional $1.8 million gift from the J.M Family Enterprises
Inc., the Jim Moran Foundation and Jan Moran.
- The College of Business Internship Program is created and a director is hired.
- BB&T gave a $1.5 million gift to establish a joint BB& T Program of Free Enterprise in the College of Business and the
Department of Economics in the College of Social Sciences.
2009 - The J. Harold and Barbara M. Chastain Eminent Scholar Chair in Real Estated is filled by world-renowned real estate |
researcher and professor C.F. Sirmans.
- The Global Experience Seminar in Santiago, Chile begins for graduate students.
- The Master of Science in Finance (MSF) Program begins.
- The Dedman School of Hospitality now operates as an independent, industry-specific school, with its own admission and
- The Department of Management Information Systems merges into the Department of Management.